While gastric banding is meant to be a long term weight loss remedy, some people will require a follow up procedure to repostion, replace or remove the gastric band. This could be due to complications or ineffectiveness of the band.
There are two primary options you can choose from when deciding if a gastric band is the right option for you. The LAP-Band and REALIZE Band are very similar in many ways but there are slight differences between the two. Learn more about how to choose which band is right for you.
Advantages of Gastric Banding
Gastric banding is relatively new when compared with gastric bypass surgery and there are some key differences when you compare the two procedures. The advantages of gastric banding over gastric bypass or other bariatric surgeries are:
- With gastric banding you typically have a shorter operation, lasting around 1 hour
- You’re in the hospital recovering for no more than 24 hours total. This is compared to a 2-3 hour surgery with gastric bypass and a multiple day stay in the hospital for recovery.
- Total recovery time is reduced to 6 weeks, down from 3 months, when opting for gastric banding.
- Gastric banding is one of the safer weight loss surgeries
- Procedure is reversible
Disadvantages of Gastric Banding
There are however, some drawbacks for choosing this procedure.
- Patients must work harder to lose weight after this procedure is complete since it relies on food restriction only, and is not a malabsorptive procedure in the way that other bariatric surgery procedures achieve their results.
- This means that your diet will be restricted for a longer period of time after gastric banding.
Complications Related to Gastric Banding
There are common complications related to gastric banding that affect all types of weight loss surgeries including nausea, vomiting or risk of infection. There are however, also unique complications related to gastric banding that you should be aware of before deciding on the bariatric surgery that is right for you.
The Cost of Gastric Banding
The cost associated with a gastric banding procedure is typically in-line with other weight loss surgeries. When choosing between the Realize Band and the LAP-BAND systems the costs you will find are very similar. There are some factors that will come in to play that help determine how much you will have to pay, read more here about the cost of gastric banding.
How Do I Know if This is the Right Surgery for Me?
There are positives and negatives to gastric banding and that is why working with your doctor to determine the best option for you is critical. In the meantime you can compare the similarities and differences between some of the major weight loss surgeries with our weight loss surgery comparison infographic.
Finding the Right Doctor
If you are looking for a doctor in your area that can consult with you about gastric banding surgery you can either browse our directory of bariatric surgeons in your area and contact them directly or contact us for assistance in finding the right weight loss specialist to meet your needs. We recommend reaching out to multiple doctors in order to find one that you are comfortable with before making your decision.